Tomatoes - 3
Tamarind - small marble size (I use more tomatoes and less tamarind - can adjust)
Rasam powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves - fist ful chopped
Green chillies - 3-4
Red chillies - 1
Garlic - 3 big pods - crushed and chopped
Mustard, zeera, curry leaves for seasoning
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Water - 4 Cups
- Cut the tomatoes into 4 pieces each and put in a microwave-safe bowl with a lid.
- Add tamarind to that and microwave for 3 mins like 1+1+1 min. (This is to avoid spilling if 3 mins is selected right away)
- Keep it aside and let it cool off.
- Once it is cool enough to touch with hand, mash the tomato mixture several times and make a chunky puree. Remove most of the tomato skin pieces possible, which are floating on the tomato puree.
- Now, take a sauce pan, do the seasoning with mustard, zeera, red chillies, green chillies, garlic, curry leaves and turmeric powder.
- Add water, prepared tomato puree, coriander leaves, rasam powder, salt and bring it to boil.
- Boil this for 10 mins, under min flame, until all the flavors are incorporated well and the oil floats.
That's it! Appetite rejuvenating Tomato Rasam is ready. Goes well with rice and pongal along with fry and dal curries.