Rice – Basmati – 2 Cups
Onion – 1 medium – chop coarsely
Potatoes – 3 small – cut into chunks
Carrots – 2 small – cut into thick circles
Peas – 1/8 Cup
Beetroot – 1/2 small – Cut into thin strips
Soy Chunks (meal maker) – 1/4 cup
Cashews – 12
Curd – 1/6 Cup
Ginger garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
Mint leaves – fresh – fistful or dry – 1 tsp
Oil – 4 Tbsp
Ghee – 1 Tbsp (optional)
Water – 4 Cups
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cardamom – 1
Javantri – 1
Star Anise – 1
Bay leaves – 2
MTR Pulao mix powder – 1/4 Tbsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 Tbsp
Green Chillies – 3
- Wash and soak rice with 1:2 ratio of water. Keep it aside.
- Cut the onion, veggies and green chillies.
- Take a wok and pour oil and ghee.
- Fry cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, javantri, star anise, bay leaves, cashews & green chillies.
- Add onions and saute until they turn light brown. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 min until the raw smell goes away.
- Add potatoes and fry for 2 mins.
- Now add carrots, peas, soy chunks & salt enough for veggies. Fry for 1 min.
- Now add curd, chilli powder, pulao powder, mint and fry for 1 more min.
- Add rice along with soaked water & salt.
- Check the salt (should be slightly salty) and let it cook in the wok under lowest flame for about 15-20 mins.
- If using rice cooker, transfer this mixture into rice cooker. When the rice is half way cooked, insert the beetroot pieces carefully and close the lid again.
- If using pressure cooker, transfer this mixture into the cooker and cook for 1 whistle, simmer for 10 mins. Use half of the beetroot mentioned above and add it before closing cooker with lid.
That’s it! Aromatic and Shiny Vegetable Pulao is ready to serve with any gravy curry or Raitha.
Note: Beetroot acts as coloring agent instead of adding artificial colors like saffron. Do not add beetroot while frying veggies because it gives all the pulao red color.